The 2 windmills in San Francisco Golden Gate Park have been restored and are both runing again for the first time in over half a century. The windmills were built at the request of John McLaren and were instrumental to the creation of Golden Gate Park, supplying most of the water for it's flora. The "Murphy" windmill pictured here was built in 1905 and is the largest surviving mill of it's type in the world (95 feet tall, sails 114 feet across, pumped 40,000 gal. of water an hour). The mill restoration was funded by private and corporate contributions and will be used to pump water for the Park. The restoration was done by a Dutch company that has built and maintained windmills since 1868.